Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Happy Father's Day...Without Daddy

*PLEASE READ WITH CAUTION* Brutal honesty takes place and graphic details

This Sunday will be 5 months to the day from the worst day of my life. The day I lost my Daddy to suicide. I have come to learn how shocked people are when I talk so freely when asked how I'm doing, or the brutality of the truth of that day. I really hope that just one person who has thought about taking their life hears/reads my struggle and thinks twice. It's as simple as that. The aftermath if you will. The aftermath of suicide is rarely something someone who is considering suicide thinks about. Something I think would have drastically altered January 19th of this year for myself, my family, and my children.

Until that day, I would have always carried nothing but good memories of my Daddy.

I always remember him being around, engaged in my life, supportive, loving, just PERFECT. He was 5'7 on a good day, but could have been 7 feet tall. He was one of the funniest people I've ever had the joy of being around. I don't remember a single dance, choir, band, drama (etc!) that I performed in that he didn't attend. I even have the memory of singing a duet with him at a choir concert. He was really as good as they get!

That being said, all of those amazing memories are muted a bit. Those memories are fogged by the memory of that day. Every moment. From the time I woke up to the time I think I fell asleep for an hour. I can remember it was 3:46 when I pulled into the driveway. 3:48 when I red the note on the kitchen counter telling me to dial 911 and not to go outside. The only time that was foggy was the minutes I stood over my Daddy's body. The remains of a shotgun wound to the head. He laid in the kiddie pool we spent most of our summer nights watching the kids play in. I just stood there screaming. I couldn't look away, I wanted it to be a nightmare. I wanted to wake up.

There was NO WAY this could be reality. But it was. It was bloody, it was my Daddy without most of his head. I could go into such graphic detail. But I think I've probably crossed that border already. Like I warned...brutal honesty. I remember telling the female 911 dispatcher that I was more than 100% certain that he wasn't alive. She even asked if I had tried to revive him. I replied "he doesn't have a mouth, or most of his brain. His brain is sitting beside him!!" Poor lady.  I then remember standing at the front door watching the paramedics race to the backyard like they could somehow save him. I remember the detective that came to tell me my Daddy was in fact dead. Yeah I got that, the second I saw him. I remember being on the phone with my Mom. I remember how amazingly strong she was. She really kept her cool, which honestly was the ONLY thing that kept me from totally losing it. I remember Todd being there, he was so strong for me too. I remember the 2 amazing crisis intervention people that came from the fire department. Who had the kids in the room enjoying that whole 4 hour circus. They had no idea about the madness outside. The rest of the night was spent in and out of conversation. I finally fell asleep for a little bit. I think it was like 3:45am...

To my Daddy. Thank you! For always being there, for giving me the wonderful sense of humor I have great pride in, for teaching me patience and kindness to EVERYONE, for giving me my musical talents, for taking me on walks and talking to me with respect, for every second we shared. I love you, I will alway love you.

I will celebrate Father's Day with the Father of my children. The man I love. I cannot believe my Daddy won't be there. It still doesn't feel real. But I can promise you I won't spend the day sad. There's just no reason for it. I had the BEST damn Father in the whole world. So I'm going to celebrate that, with or without him! I am also going to celebrate Todd. He is an amazing Father, Hubby and friend. He was there for me every single minute I needed him since January 19. That alone is reason enough. So to you my love, thank you!

I am still hoping for the day that my graphic memories are somehow magically removed from my brain. But I know that the key to getting through this, is to know that they will always be there, just will slowly become more distant memories. I will focus my time now focusing on my future and my family's future. The past is just that the past, and I have no interest on what has happened, only what is yet ahead. To watching Landen and Nora celebrate another year of life. To Nora's first day of big girl school. To growing old with my soul mate. To the experiences that are yet ahead for me and Forever Photography. It sure sounds better than thinking for one more second about January 19.

Thank you to every single person who has read my blogs, it takes a lot of compassion to read what I've wrote. I appreciate the support greatly! To the people who I've learned are NOT supporters of my life. FUCK OFF...no seriously...haha...I wish everyone of you well. I just never thought that family or supposed friends could do, say or think some of the things that these nay-sayers have...but that is guilt I thankfully don't have to live with. I was and have always been there for my family. I have supported them, even opened my home to them, I have loved them unconditionally. Then when I need my "family" the most...POOF...they're gone. Over money, bullshit, lies and GUILT. Again, something I won't have to live with.

Okay, that's it folks. My last entry.

5 comments:

  1. Love ya Whittney <3 You're a beautiful person, and your Dad would be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for being so honest. I read your posts always and am not taken back by your brutal honesty but amazed in the way that you have handled what you have been through over the last months. You are one of a kind. Again thank you for sharing your life and brutally honest feelings! I wish you nothing but the best in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too appreciate the honesty that has come with all of your blog entries. I think that is a huge part of your healing process. I'm sure that there will be days that are more difficult then others, but I hope you continue to realize what a huge support system that you have! Keep that chin of yours up and keep on pushing forward like you have been! Sending my love always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really sad to celebrate father's day without daddy, i understand what Whittney feels. You write all your feelings for your daddy its really inspiring, your daddy for sure is very happy and so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whitney~ Thank you so much for your blog. A friend of mine, Chrissy Myers told me about you & what a wonderful photographer, person & friend you are. Whitney, You are truly an inspriation to me! Your father sounds alot like my Dad, two truly amazing men that I wish everyone could have a Daddy like!
    I think & pray for your family often...thank you so very much for sharing your blog with all of us!!
    God Bless you & your family!!!
    Casey Ament

    ReplyDelete