Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A few days ago I received a message from someone who reads my blog. The message started out like this (it is edited to protect the identity of the reader):

"I have been meaning to get online and send you a thank you! While you probably don't realize this.you saved my ******'s life! All of your posts about depression and anxiety made me take a step back and talk to ****** about what appeared to be *** sinking into the darkness of depression."



The follower went on to explain that their loved one was exhibiting some of the warning signs I saw in my Daddy. The reader decided to sit their loved one down and get to the bottom of it. The readers loved one had been contemplating suicide.Thankfully, because the reader was able to see the warning signs in their loved one, this individual is alive and on the road to recovery! 

I didn't make it past the second paragraph of the readers message. I was sobbing.

I have only asked my Daddy for one thing since he left. (I talk to him every night) That through the darkness of losing my Daddy to suicide, that I could reach just one person. Save just one life.

I plan to continue to reach out to others, I have submitted myself to be a speaker (touring Jr. and Senior Highs in AZ) reaching out to AZ youth about bullying and suicide. I will also be a guest blogger for Wings of Hope

I'd like to share a few facts and statistics that might shock you. Educate yourself on suicide. It's a MUCH bigger problem than you may think.

Between 1952 and 1995, suicide in young adults nearly tripled. 

For young people aged 15-24 years old, suicide is the third leading cause of death. (Homicide is 15th!)

Suicide takes the lives of nearly 30,000 Americans every year.

1 in 65,000 children ages 10 to 14 commit suicide each year.

An average of one person dies by suicide every 16.2 minutes. (CDC, AAS)

There are twice as many deaths due to suicide than HIV/AIDS.

Over half of all suicides are completed with a firearm.

80% of people that seek treatment for depression are treated successfully.

The strongest risk factor for suicide is depression.

There are four male suicides for every female suicide. (CDC, AAS)

Research has shown medications and therapy to be effective suicide prevention.

Suicide can be prevented through education and public awareness.


Thank you to the reader for sharing your story with me. I am humbled and grateful that my experience helped save a life!!

Tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of my Daddy's death. I know it will not be an easy day, but it will be one more day that I can possibly save a life, one more day that I can see the faces of my beautiful children, one more day that I will not regret! One day at a time!

3 comments:

  1. WOW...that is incredible!! You are an inspiration to so many AND now it was truly shown!! Your Dad is helping you in so many ways & helping others! He was in such a sad place on earth but he has helped you by going out & speaking about how wonderful he was & what suicide does to the family! You are going to be a great speaker to those kids!! I can't wait to hear about your 1st talk!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... That is amazing Whitney! Thank you for sharing this incredible story... and for all of your posts. I know they will continue to move people. (this is Megan, btw, couldn't figure out an easy way to post other than the anonymous option!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh goodness, whit. Thought about you all day - hope you are doing well. xoxoxoxo much love! and what a great post :)

    ReplyDelete