Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Mommy Dearest

It's such an incredible feeling as a child to know that you have a parent that NO MATTER WHAT, will be there to encourage, love and inspire. A built in support system that has only your best intentions in mind. Someone willing to literally die for you. I was fortunate enough to have two parents like this. Yes I lost one of them, but I still have one, and a great one at that. Some people don't have any parents, or have bad parents, etc. So I find myself thanking my lucky stars that I was blessed with two remarkable human beings as parents. They have both molded me into the person I am today, and I have never gone a day wishing I had better or different parents. I owe so much to them.

My Mom has had to endure a lot this past 18 months. Not only having to deal with the grief of losing a spouse, and the Father of her children, in such a tragic way. But, having to watch me suffer as well. As a parent, I cannot even begin to imagine how hard it must be. While she is constantly commending me on my strength, what she doesn't realize it was learned from her.

I watched her lose both of her parents. First my Grandmother, whom battled for years with several different types of cancer. My Mom was there every chance she could be, for every surgery, to cook meals when she couldn't, to hold her hand, and to be a constant source of strength for my entire family. Years of scans, and surgeries, and hair falling out, and her in such intense pain. She was always there for my Grandma. It was such an inspiration to see. Then a few years ago when my Grandfather finally succumbed to his long battle with a chronic form of Guillain Barre. She took him to every single doctors appointment, visited him constantly, even spending one night cleaning up his apartment when he lost control of his bowels so he wouldn't feel embarrassed to have someone come clean. Her commitment and love for her parents was such an amazing thing to witness. All of it done with grace, strength and not a single complaint.

To my Mama, one of my personal heroes, I love you and will love you until the day I take my last breath. You continue to inspire and impress me through all odds. I look forward to many more years of great memories with you. I cannot thank you enough for everything you have done for me. I cherish you so very much and hope you know that!



No comments:

Post a Comment