Sunday, June 9, 2013

Gussy


Since the day my son, my first born child, Landen Douglas (we call him Gus, or Gussy) was born (6/25/2005 at 9lbs 8oz after 36hrs of labor and hours upon hours of pushing), until he was 15 months old, I was with him every single day. 24-7. I lost sleep, I cried and felt helpless because he got ear infections every 6 weeks from the day he was born until he was 18 month old and got his first set of ear tubes. He also suffered from Reflux. But, to his charm, he was the happiest baby. He woke with a huge smile on face each morning. We shared such a special relationship and the 15 months I spent home with him were hard, but worth every issue we faced. When I started working in Preschool, he came with me to work. So even while working, I had the great blessing of seeing him often and still comforting him when needed. Every single Teacher he had fell in love with him. They still check in on him via Facebook to this day. 

But, he is NOT perfect. No one is. Me especially. He has had to endure a lot in his small time on this Earth, and it's unfortunate that it has affected him greatly. He has a sensory issue with water. This has made getting him to swim on his own very difficult. If his shirt gets wet, or he steps in a DROP of water from one of our 3 dogs after getting a drink, he will proceed to hop on one foot until he has made it to a rug to wipe his foot off. But, he takes showers independently. He is particular about his socks and shoes. They have to be on right and fit right in order for him to wear them without constantly complaining about how something isn't right. I think it's more about control. OCD ish. You're welcome son. That one is from your Mama. 

Most important, he is sensitive. For example, while playing with a friend for a few hours, the friend exclaimed "I'm not gonna be your friend anymore" in response to him not wanting to play. His response to this common phrase used among children, him in a puddle of tears somewhere hiding. This is a work in progress, as we try to explain to him that sometimes he needs to just let things go. So I brought up a story of when he was about 4 or 5 he used to say "You're not going to my Birthday Party!" whenever upset with his Sister or, well anyone. Haha. He laughed and thought it was funny. But, it used to make his Sister cry. Point made. High five to self. But, in reality, he is still sensitive, and this is going to be an ongoing issue. 

He isn't void of inner strength, he did SO WELL during this past Spring soccer season and started really getting aggressive and taking initiative to go after the ball that by the end of the season, he looked as well versed in soccer as some of the other boys who had been playing for years. 

He also, isn't a wuss. He can handle pain! At a practice, he was goalie as each player got to boot a shot into the goal. Well, one little boy (with a CANNON for a foot) booted a ball straight into his face. Hit him straight between the eyes and the bridge of his nose. EVERY SINGLE parent and the Coach and Assistant Coach ran towards him. He held his hands over his eyes that were welling up with tears, took a breath and took his goal stance. No ice, no need to sit down and recover. He was ready for the next ball. This single act was proof enough to me and anyone there that my son has some serious inner strength. It brings me to tears just thinking of how proud I was, and am. 

But, sadly, his struggles after my Father's suicide left him in a struggle to communicate his grief and anger. So he acted out. In school, at home, everywhere. He struggled, and we sought him treatment with a Psychologist who eventually got him back on track. 

He is getting ready for second grade and is reading and a 5th grade level and tested really high for Math, Reading and Phonics. He is still on track to skip 3rd grade and we are still in no rush :) If he wakes up before my Husband or I, he will make himself breakfast, get dressed for school, pack his lunch and be all ready to go before it's even 6am! Haha. He keeps his room clean, helps his Sister clean hers and is always asking to help me to housework. 

While his Sister attends Summer Theatre Camp with her bestie for the next 3 weeks, I get the chance to be alone with him for 3 hours a day. I am SO EXCITED! I have a million things planed.

He is almost 8, and I just cannot believe what a beautiful human being he has become. Both inside and out! 
He is flawed, as am I, and every other human being. But, flaws aside he is caring, and loving, and helpful and smart and funny and the best little man I could have ever have hoped for! 

Taken 6/8/2013 

At our Marriage Renewal/Do Over...lol
9/30/2012


Just a few of my favorites of him:











1 comment: