Thursday, May 1, 2014

Mental Health Awareness Month

May is Mental Health Awareness Month, and because of it, I'd like to share my own dealings with Mental Health issues. Why? Because there is NOTHING to be ashamed of. The stigma behind Mental Health needs to be erased. We need to stand together and share our stories to help those who won't help themselves.

Anxiety has been an issue most of my life. I remember getting so sick to my stomach before any sort of performance and then feeling find by the time I hit the stage. Now it is being controlled by medication and visits with my Psychiatrist.

Depression came later, I had a few months of an issue with it after my son was born. But it was never bad until my separation from my Husband and the diagnosis of my Crohn's Disease. Then my Father's suicide made both the depression and anxiety MAJOR issues. It affected everything. The way I thought, the way I reacted to things, my mood, my overall quality of life.

Thankfully I am medicated, I am stable and I am at a point where I am hopeful instead of depressed. I am happy more than I am sad. I am getting back into Photography. We have a new truck that has blessed us during a time of need. I have a lot more to be thankful for than not. That is for certain. This glass is half full.

If you are feeling down, alone, worthless, like no one cares, or any similar feeling, please know that help is out there. That life does get better and with some work, you can smile again!

You are loved! Never forget that!

No comments:

Post a Comment